Wilmington Academy – Online Learning
Why Choose Our Online Learning Program?
Being a part of the Wilmington Academy online learning program provides your child with numerous advantages.
- Tuition-free program with courses that are supported by Wilmington Area School District teachers!
Students earn a diploma from the Wilmington Area School District and are able to participate in graduation with classmates.
- Students may create a blended/hybrid schedule that includes both online courses and on-campus courses in the brick-and-mortar building, such as art or music.
- Students have the opportunity to enroll in a Career and Technology Program through the Lawrence County Career & Technology Center.
- Students have daily check-ins with the primary contact, Mrs. Ciavarino, and can contact her for help with program questions or obtaining information about participation in school activities or events.
- Students have full access to district resources and facilities, including special education, guidance counseling services, libraries and athletic facilities.
- Students may join district-sponsored extracurricular activities and sports teams and participate in field trips and school events, such as school dances, pep rallies, and awards.
How to Enroll
To get started, download and complete the enrollment form by clicking this link:
Upon completion, please contact Mrs. Allison Ciavarino to schedule an appointment to discuss the registration process, review any specific needs the student may have, and prepare for the student to transition into the Wilmington Academy program.
Wilmington Academy Coordinator
(724) 656-8866 ext 2125
Please note: If your student is currently enrolled outside of the Wilmington Area School District, you will also need to complete the district registration process.
Students are provided with access to a web-based student portal which includes access to their coursework and online resources. The portal also includes a monthly calendar and weekly progress indicator to help students stay on track and finish their coursework on time.
MATERIALS, EQUIPMENT & TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Students in the Wilmington Academy receive a district-issued computer. Students will also receive physical textbooks for each of their assigned courses. Technical Support is available for both student equipment and questions about accessing online course materials.
LEARNING ENVIRONMENT & CURRICULUM
We recognize that each student has a personal learning style and unique requirements for scheduling flexibility. Wilmington Academy is designed to provide students with the flexibility they need while maintaining daily checkpoints to ensure students are accountable and develop the necessary skills to be successful online learners. The K-12 Virtual Learning Network curriculum used in Wilmington Academy is standards-aligned and district‑approved. Courses are designed with a consistent weekly module structure which provides students with engaging content while dividing the coursework into manageable lessons. Courses include a wealth of web-based resources, including lectures, videos, interactive animations, supplemental materials from textbook publishers, and a wide range of other engaging educational media.
MASTERING THE CONTENT
A variety of activities and assessments are vital to a student’s success. While multiple-choice assessments are an important part of any assessment structure, we ask students to further demonstrate mastery with the following exercises:
A set of questions/problems designed to provide students with practice of key concepts.
A 5-question assessment that requires students to demonstrate their understanding of the lesson topics and key concepts.
A topical essay question intended to assess students’ knowledge of the overall concept outlined in the reading assignment and to gauge students’ writing skills.
Long-term assignments are interspersed throughout a course giving students the opportunity to build on multiple units.
Students are also asked to show their work on all math coursework so our teachers can evaluate their understanding of the material.