Minecraft is a video game rated ‘E for Everyone’ by the ESRB; however, online experiences are not rated. The Minecraft gaming community is crowded with servers that your child can openly connect to. The interactions with other players on those servers are rarely moderated. With over 25 Million copies of Minecraft sold worldwide, the odds are undeniable that many WASD students are playing Minecraft already. Although Wilmington Area School District does not provide nor sell Minecraft, it is the goal of WASD to provide a safe environment for your child even when outside of school. Additionally, this may provide you with peace of mind knowing your child is playing with his/her peers in a moderated environment and not strangers of unknown ages.
WASD servers are privately hosted and controlled by WASD Staff. Access is restricted to K-12 students. All players are required to complete the sign-up form before connecting to a WASD server. The only exception to the age restriction is to allow adult moderators to perform maintenance and to moderate player activity when necessary. Moderators are members of WASD Staff or WASD HS Students who volunteer their time outside of school hours to maintain the server. Automated safeguards are in place to prevent vulgar language while in game. Cyberbullying in Minecraft will not be tolerated and could result in disciplinary action.
It is important for parents and guardians to know that this project is a service provided by the Wilmington Area School District for after-school use only. Minecraft is not allowed on school owned computers nor is it allowed during class hours. Minecraft is not considered an academic resource at this time; however, it is valuable in developing “Digital Citizenship” among youth. “Digital Citizenship” is the ability to participate in social activity online in a respectful and appropriate manor. Minecraft can teach players how to effectively communicate and work collaboratively with others.
Note: If you are considering purchasing Minecraft for your child, please note that our servers are only accessible by the PC version of the game. The Xbox, PlayStation, Tablet, and Smart Phone versions are incompatible.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to send an email to:email@example.com
Haven't signed up yet? No problem!
You can sign up on our online form.
1) Do not interfere with other player’s belongings or structures. This includes their buildings, chests, tools, decorations, etc. If another player created it, you must leave it alone. Unless, of course, you are building something collaboratively.
2) Do not attempt to cause malicious harm or disruption to the server via hacking or similar action.
3) Respect other players. Bullying will not be tolerated.
4) Keep the chat clean! Profanity, spamming, and other vulgar actions will not be tolerated.
5) Player Restrictions: Wilmington’s Servers are restricted to K-12 students of Wilmington Area School District and surrounding school districts or cyber schools.
6) Obey server admins and moderators
7) Do not cheat. Any form of cheating is a bannable offense