New Entry Procedures
The Wilmington Area School District acknowledges the unfortunate school events that have been occurring across our country. As a result, a review of student and staff safety has been paramount over the past weeks. In an effort to improve school safety and awareness, we will be implementing additional entry procedure measures across the district. Below is a list of new procedures that will be implemented for entering or visiting the buildings beginning the week of Monday, March 5, 2018.
Entry procedures for the school buildings:
- All 5th – 12th grade bus riders will enter through the Gymnasium doors in the morning. This practice will only be new for students in grades 5 and 6. All students in grades 7 – 12 have entered through the Gymnasium doors for the past few years.
- As has been the practice, all MS/HS students who are dropped off by parents/guardians in the morning will enter through the doors by the High School/Administration Office.
- The current MS entrance will no longer be used to drop off students, or for parents to access the building. If you would like to drop something off for your student, attend a meeting, or pick up your student, please do so at the HS office.
- After 8:05, all visitors and students in grades 5 – 12 will enter through the HS Office Entrance.
- All Elementary students will continue to enter through the front entrance of WAES.
- Any non-student entering the Elementary or HS entrance will be asked for identification, a reason for visiting, and may be subject to a hand-held metal detector screening.
Thank you for your understanding and flexibility with these new procedures, as we make efforts to create the safest learning environment for all of our children and staff. These procedures are implemented for safety during the school day and we will continue to invite parents to classroom events, community gatherings, luncheons and special student presentations.
Jeffrey A. Matty, Ed.D.